When do you decorate?

All the twinkling, blinking, spectacular light displays, shiny holiday ornaments, and overall Christmas decorations.

When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:46 am

Hello,

When do you begin decorating the inside of your home for Christmas? The day after Halloween, the sounds of the seasons channel begins playing Christmas music 24/7 until the first week of January. That seems to put me in a festive mood and I usually put a few small things out. We have a tradition of putting up the tree 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. It seems to stretch out the season a little more, which I love. I keep my harvest decor out until after Thanksgiving still. I know that some people wait until December because they use a live tree. I may try that one for my foyer this year.
Last edited by sugarcookie on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks sugarcookie for sharing your decorating routine for Christmas with us.

This year will be different in my home -- I am scaling back because I lost Mom ia few months ago and my DH is unemployed.

Usually, I start the day after Thanksgiving. I take down all the Autumnal decorations [okay that takes half a day - :lol: [ and then we bring in all the boxes of stuff. WE set up the tree before dinner. Then we we watch Miracle on 34th Street after dinner and start decorating the tree. In 2 more days my home is fully decorated.

Last year, to keep it special for Mom I decorated on Veteran's Day and didn't take it down til the end of January. This year we are keeping it simple to focus on the real reason we celebrate.
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry to hear about your mom. I can understand wanting to keep things simple and focusing on the true meaning of Christmas. It's something we should all keep in mind. When I think back on my childhood, the best memories of Christmas were just being with those I loved. I don't even remember many of the gifts.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Pretjah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:55 am

a few things

1- if i remember correctly last year at 2 am nov 1st is when the christmas music started on the TV music Sounds of the Season. i know cause i stayed up specifically to find out B-)

2- traditionally growing up when we had real trees we always did the tree the first full weekend in DEC. we decorated the rest fo the house the weekend after thanksgiving. when we started using an artificial tree that was moved up to the weekend after thanksgiving as well.

3- now that i am in my own home i start my christmas train village the week before the week of thanksgiving and do the christmas tree the weekend before thanksgiving so i can have it all on while i watch the MACY's thanksgiving day parade.

4 - when i start my train village my wife starts with her christmas snowmen, knickknacks etc and drags it out a few days as well
Pretjah
Toy Maker
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm

We usually start decorating the first Sunday of Advent (it's an agreement hubby and I have, so I don't start too early). Last year, he started suggesting decorating so the house would look good for our Santa Claus parade after party. I was totally shocked. Although if we decorate that early there may not be enough room for the girls' Christmas parties. Ugh don't like the difficult decisions. :lol:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Image
User avatar
Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:12 am
Location: Christmas Town

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 am

sugarcookie wrote:Thank you for sharing. I am sorry to hear about your mom. I can understand wanting to keep things simple and focusing on the true meaning of Christmas. It's something we should all keep in mind. When I think back on my childhood, the best memories of Christmas were just being with those I loved. I don't even remember many of the gifts.


Yes, in the end the gifts are not what is important -- it is those who gave of their selves to bless our lives. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 am

Pretjah wrote:a few things

1- if i remember correctly last year at 2 am nov 1st is when the christmas music started on the TV music Sounds of the Season. i know cause i stayed up specifically to find out B-)

2- traditionally growing up when we had real trees we always did the tree the first full weekend in DEC. we decorated the rest fo the house the weekend after thanksgiving. when we started using an artificial tree that was moved up to the weekend after thanksgiving as well.

3- now that i am in my own home i start my christmas train village the week before the week of thanksgiving and do the christmas tree the weekend before thanksgiving so i can have it all on while i watch the MACY's thanksgiving day parade.

4 - when i start my train village my wife starts with her christmas snowmen, knickknacks etc and drags it out a few days as well




I started getting into the villages last year. I recently bought Ralphie's house from The Christmas Story village collection. I plan to buy more pieces when they come out this holiday season. I bet your train village is beautiful. I'm getting more and more excited as the weeks go by.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 pm

How wonderful Sugarcookie! I didn't realize there was a Christmas Story village set - how cool!

Maybe you an post a picture for us this Christmas?
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Noel+ wrote:How wonderful Sugarcookie! I didn't realize there was a Christmas Story village set - how cool!

Maybe you an post a picture for us this Christmas?


I'll definitely post some pics. I only have one piece so far from the Christmas Story set but I plan to add more. I thought it was cool too when I found out, just last month in fact.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:25 am

Great - looking forward to photos this Christmas time! :D
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Pretjah » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 am

sugarcookie wrote:


I started getting into the villages last year. I recently bought Ralphie's house from The Christmas Story village collection. I plan to buy more pieces when they come out this holiday season. I bet your train village is beautiful. I'm getting more and more excited as the weeks go by.




i really want to pick up a few of the Dept 56 Christmas Story pieces

i want to get Ralphie's house, the chop suey rest., the bumpesus dogs, and the flag post piece with the kids tongue stuck.
Pretjah
Toy Maker
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 am

Today is the JOY OF CHRISTMAS on QVC! You don't have to shop........tune in for the music, decorations and fun! It's one of my favorite days! :smilecc:
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:09 am

Pretjah wrote:
sugarcookie wrote:


I started getting into the villages last year. I recently bought Ralphie's house from The Christmas Story village collection. I plan to buy more pieces when they come out this holiday season. I bet your train village is beautiful. I'm getting more and more excited as the weeks go by.




i really want to pick up a few of the Dept 56 Christmas Story pieces

i want to get Ralphie's house, the chop suey rest., the bumpesus dogs, and the flag post piece with the kids tongue stuck.



I think the pieces are so adorable. We'll both be searching for them. Sears carries the brand..I think they get them in October. I'm not sure about when their stock comes in for online...I know they had Ralphie's house on their website the last time I checked. I'm waiting until October to see what sales they'll have. I bought Ralphie's house from Sears when they were having a Chrismtas in July sale.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Oh, I'll have to check out Sears! Thanks! :D
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby sugarcookie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:25 pm

You're welcome Noel.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Image
User avatar
sugarcookie
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Our Sears doesn't ahve Christmas items on display yet..........but I'll be back!
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanksgiving day. Right after the big meal.
We used to wait until the day after Thanksgiving, but I just can't wait that long anymore.
:P
Image
User avatar
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant
 
Posts: 7605
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: Warner Robins, GA

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby suzysnowflake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:40 pm

We are slowly starting now, hubby hung the lights on Sunday

:scene:
User avatar
suzysnowflake
Bulb Tester
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Ottawa Canada

Re: When do you decorate?

Postby Noel+ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:48 pm

WE've already bought some new ornaments & are excited for Christmas decorating the day after Christmas. :scene:
Image



I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
User avatar
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors
 
Posts: 13412
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: Winter Wonderland


Return to Silver & Gold

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron